Nyarugunga Village received a new name when members of What BETTER Looks Like visited in 2010. The people announced with much optimism that "the village would now be called the Village of Hope." We have not forgotten that moment, when the hearts of these people expressed the dream of a better life.
The village is home to 320 people who have been identified by the Rwandan government as people in need and have been provided very modest housing. In this rural country where about 90% of the people are engaged in subsistence agriculture, these residents are considered the "poorest of the poor." Each person has been affected by the Genocide that occurred in 1994 which killed an estimated 800,000 people. Many residents are orphans who live in a 'child head of household' situation...they are young people, 22 or 23 years old, who have been raising younger siblings since they lost their parents. Others are elderly, have a disability, or suffer from HIV/AIDS.
The people of the Village of Hope have very basic needs: food, clothing, education and a way to make a living. Each family has shelter and water collected in cisterns. Hunger is prevalent with children and adults. All need our help.
These strong and resilient people have spoken to us of their aspirations and hope for a better life. With the concern and help of others, we can assist the people by providing:
- Primary and Secondary Education - school fees and school supplies
- University Education - school fees and school supplies
- Vocational Skills and Training: sewing/tailoring; professional driving; brick-making; carpentry/masonry
- Start-up grants to launch a small business
All those in the Village of Hope are invited to ‘give something back’ to contribute to the creation of the Beloved Community. We invite you to follow the project, help make it successful, and celebrate with us as we see the positive changes and impact.
GIVE NOW... CHANGE A LIFE ...
This community needs concrete help today. Please join us in providing what you can for this project, where our mission is twofold: to help the Village of Hope and to inspire those who give by connecting them to the significance of their gift.
How to help financially...
- Make a donation to be given where there is the most need, or set up a monthly donation to help with ongoing needs.
- Sponsor a young adult for university.
- Sponsor an adult for career/vocational training, or starting a small business.
- Sponsor a child for primary/secondary school.
- Provide a corporate sponsorship or gift.
The gift of self...
Volunteer with us...We need your help, energy and enthusiasm.
Connections...Do you know someone who would be interested in helping with this work?
Expertise and Consultation...Do you have any specific expertise that you feel would be beneficial to this project?
Encouragement/Inspiration...It takes a village to create Beloved Community. Please contribute your ideas!
To give now: Enter your donation at the right-hand column